November 5th, 2022
53 mins 47 secs
About this Episode
Katherine Druckman, Doc Searls, and Petros Koutoupis talk digital wallets and current events.
- The digital wallet will be the biggest instrument of personal agency since the browser—but only if we make it ours — Apple and Google already have a wallet in your phone. Other developers want an open way to build alternatives. But the missing player in this is us. Let's step up.
- Podcasts Killed the Radio Star - by Katherine Druckman — As many of our listeners already know, podcasting originated with an idea to add enclosures to an RSS feed. After much lobbying from former MTV personality Adam Curry, Dave Winer, creator of the RSS format, famously updated RSS version 0.92 in 2001 with the addition of an
tag, and while it took a few years to catch on with widespread adoption thanks largely to the Apple iPod, the rest, as they say, is history.
- VRM Day 2022b Tickets, Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 9:00 AM | Eventbrite — This VRM Day will also host the November salon in the Ostrom Workshop's Beyond the Web series, hosted by Doc Searls and starring Roger McNamee. Respected for decades as an investor, musician, tech guru, philanthropist, and mentor to entrepreneurs—most notably Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook—Roger has made big waves recently with his bestselling book, Zucked: Waking Up to the Facebook Catastrophe
- Elon Musk’s Twitter Layoffs Are Brewing Up a Perfect Storm for the Midterms | Vanity Fair — Misinformation experts are sounding alarms as the tech billionaire sets out to reportedly axe half the company’s workforce and blow up its blue-check verification system ahead of Election Day. “Comms has gone dark,” one reporter tweeted. “To say I’m worried for next week’s election doesn’t even begin to cover it.”
- IIW — The Internet Identity Workshop has been finding, probing and solving identity issues twice every year since 2005. We meet in the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA. Every IIW moves topics, code and projects downfield. Name an identity topic and it’s likely that more substantial discussion and work has been done at IIW than any other conference!
- EmanciPay - Project VRM — Simply put, Emancipay makes it easy for anybody to pay (or offer to pay) — as much as they like however they like for whatever they like on their own terms — or at least to start with that full set of options, and to work out differences with sellers easily and with minimal friction.